My wardrobe crisis was really more like a quarter life crisis. There I was at 25 years old, struggling to find the courage to chase my dreams after an unexpected layoff. My closet was a hodgepodge of too-young casual wear leftover from college & too boring office attire from a day job I no longer had. What does a stylish 25 year old creative professional even wear? That was the big question that first prompted my whole lean closet journey five years ago.
You may even be reading this because a major lifestyle change prompted you to overhaul your wardrobe! Landing your first corporate job, leaving the workforce to be a stay at home mom, moving across the country… any major life event can all throw a major wrench into the functionality of your closet.
Your Wardrobe Essentials
In part 1 we worked on defining your fashion personality, but today we’re going to put on our practicality hats and talk about lifestyle needs. What you do for a living, how you spend your weekends, and the climate that you live in all play into what you wear.How to determine your lifestyle essentials for the perfect #capsulewardrobe: http://bit.ly/216nCjh Click To Tweet
- Do you work a corporate 9 to 5? Are you a creative freelancer?
- Only you know the level of formality your particular career requires. You may need an entire “career capsule”, or you may be able to get away with a few key pieces to dress up your casual staples.
- Are your weekends typically spent running errands? Chasing after the kids? Meeting up with your BFFs for brunch?
- Maybe machine washable fabrics are non negotiable for your lifestyle, or a crossbody bag for hands free errands.
- Urban or suburban? If your daily life involves a lot of walking & public transportation, flat shoes & a large tote bag might be essential for you.
- Next, what do you need for your local climate… a wool coat & waterproof boots? Lightweight linen and sandals?
- What other activities are a regular part of your life? Date nights, travel, networking events?
Just like last time, print this worksheet and complete it for your adult homework! Fill in each section with your wardrobe essentials. It’s okay to be general, but feel free to get super specific if you have a certain item in mind (like “black Birkenstocks” instead of “sandals”). Here is a filled in example sheet to give you some ideas.
The Lean Closet Series:
- 3 Fundamentals Of A Perfect Wardrobe
- How To Define Your Personal Style
- How To Determine Your Wardrobe Lifestyle Essentials
- How To Use Pinterest To Plan Your Wardrobe
- The Easy Way To Clean Out Your Closet
- The Simple 80/20 Rule For Wardrobe Awesomeness
- How To Build A Quality Wardrobe On A Budget